Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Book Review: Lover Enshrined

Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood #6)
J.R. Ward

Release Date: June 3, 2008


Book Description:
In this "frighteningly addictive" paranormal romance saga there's a war raging between vampires and their slayers. Here are the stories of a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. And now a dutiful twin must choose between two lives...

Fiercely loyal to the Black Dagger Brotherhood, Phury has sacrificed himself for the good of the race, becoming the male responsible for keeping the Brotherhood's bloodlines alive. As Primale of the Chosen, he is obligated to father the sons and daughters who will ensure that the traditions of the race survive, and that there are warriors to fight those who want all vampires extinguished.

As his first mate, the Chosen Cormia wants to win not only his body, but his heart for herself. She is drawn to the noble responsibility behind the emotionally scarred male. But Phury has never allowed himself to know pleasure or joy. As the war with the Lessening Society grows grim, tragedy looms over the Brotherhood's mansion, and Phury must decide between duty and love....


Amazon US | Goodreads

Review:
It’s been awhile since I last picked up a Black Dagger Brotherhood book. I admit I was a bit fed up with the way J.R. Ward handled V’s storyline and did not wish to continue on with the series, apart from the fact that I purchased Lover Enshrined already. And so it sat there, on my Kindle, for what seemed like months, gloating in my direction. Hating to leave things unfinished I thought to give it another go.



Lover Enshrined was supposed to be primarily a Phury’s story, or so I thought judging from past acquaintance with the series. Instead, this book had multiple storylines about everyone/everything but the kitchen sink. From Phury’s drug addiction, John Matthew and his boys, the Chosen, Z and Bella’s baby, lessers and the Omega [can we get rid of these guys altogether? I wouldn’t mind.], Tohr making a return, to Rhev and Xhex rounding things up, my head was almost spinning from jumping POV(s) every other page. But, I was pleasantly surprised, not by the outcome of the story, but rather quality. Either I had enough of a break from BDB to be intrigued by it once more, or there clearly was more to the story than simple “boy meets girl, has sex, falls in love” formula, [or someone was pouring “happy” kool-aid in my cup].

It felt like J.R. Ward suddenly got a bright idea to take this series beyond the Brotherhood and her creative muse cheered and guided on, setting a premise for the future books. And having seen the synopsis of the next few BDB novels, I’m certain that most of these stories will find further development, which makes me excited as I enjoyed quite a few of them, including those of JM, Qhuinn/Blay, and Rhev. Perhaps now is a good time to admit, that I think Rhev is by far one of the most interesting characters in the series [imho]. So, you must know, I will be checking his book. Other than that, Phury, himself, did not inspire my interest but I still felt a pang of sadness for his expulsion and treatment by the Brotherhood. I felt meh about his and Cormia’s romance, but for all her naivety, the pool scene with her, Phury, JM, Qhuinn and Blay was quite priceless. I cheered and laughed reading.

Overall I’m surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel, but it wasn’t without its faults and plot holes. I plunged in with low expectations. Black Dagger Brotherhood is one of those series I’d hate to tell anyone I read. It’s bad, but so good at the same time. To add to it, these books are incredibly addicting! As I said above, I didn’t look forward to reading it, yet having finished the book I cannot help but crave more. Help! What is wrong with me? These brothers have put a spell on me, and like Phury’s drug addiction I can barely stay away.

Black Dagger Brotherhood Series:
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)
Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)
Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5)
Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6)
Father Mine: Zsadist and Bella's Story (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6.5)
Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7)
Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8)
Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9)
Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10)
Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11)
The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #12) ~ Expected publication: March 25, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...